India bats for $300 bn power grid in South Asia
India has made a strong pitch for setting up a $300-billion trans-national power grid in South Asia which would enable the region to trade in electricity.
Addressing the sixth SAFTA ( South Asia Free Trade Agreement) ministerial council on Thursday, commerce minister Anand Sharma said, "India, Nepal, Bhutan and Pakistan have a combined hydropower potential of 200GW, of which more than three-quarters is yet to be harnessed."
"We need to work together to harness this potential not only for following the path of sustainable development but also as a source of cost-effective power supply to retain our competitiveness in manufacturing," he added. read more →
Interested in rooftop solar for industrial/commercial consumption? Make use of our FREE Solar Assist service - More
This is very interesting. I'd like to share this!
Read more news items on: Electricity Generation and Transmission,
- Power utilities in India don a green cap
- NTPC to award $3.3 billion equipment order by March
- Assocham's recommendations for power sector
- Power cos cancel 6000 cr equipment orders
- How to slash power subsidies
- RIL infra gets power distribution license for 25 years
- 'N-energy vital for India's power production': M R Srinivasan
- Siemens develops online energy saving tool
- TOP 10 DIY ENERGY EFFICIENCY TIPS
- Gujarat can supply power to India in two years: Modi