Bosch Limited, a leading supplier of technology and services, has commissioned two solar projects for the Bengaluru International Airport Limited (BIAL). The first project of 440 kW has been installed in the car park area in front of the BIAL corporate office, and the second project of 2.5 MW solar panels at the airside.
Bosch, with its well-qualified design and project management team, designed the two projects taking into account the uniqueness of the locations – the 440kW project located at the car park area has been designed to optimize land usage enabling the generation of more than 6 lakh units of power, annually, and double as a car park for about 160 cars; due to the proximity to the runway, the 2.5 MW project has been additionally designed to sustain high wind speeds.
Kempegowda International Airport, Bengaluru is currently the busiest airport in South India and the third largest in the country – having served 22.88 million passengers in FY 2016-17. It is operated by Bangalore International Airport Limited (BIAL), where private promoters hold 74% stake, while the government holds the remaining 26%. In April 2017, it was certified a carbon neutral airport for effectively offsetting carbon emissions at the airport through a series of focused initiatives. According to Mr. Hari Marar, President – Airport Operations BIAL, “BIAL has constantly endeavored to create an enabling environment through its various green initiatives. We have focused on sustainability and embarked on adopting renewable energy as part of our overall green vision. We aim to achieve 50% of our energy needs through renewable power in the next 3 years.”
The two projects commissioned by Bosch will jointly reduce carbon emission by 3625 tonnes per annum (3075 tonnes of CO2 emission per annum at the airside and 550 tonnes of CO2 emission per annum at the car park area). The projects executed by the Bosch Limited, will generate approximately 4.4 million units of electricity annually.
Bosch’s vision is to play an active role in building a sustainable energy infrastructure. Bosch India offers customized solutions for commercial and industrial clients across sections, such as airports, automotive industry, dairy, and seaports, among others. According to Mr. Soumitra Bhattacharya, president, Bosch Group India, “Energy solutions from Bosch India will help our industrial and commercial customers reduce their energy expenditure. Airports are a focus vertical for Bosch. Beyond solar projects, we have security technology and energy efficiency solutions for this sector.” Since 2011, Bosch has executed around 120 solar projects pan-India of varying complexities, including rooftop, ground-mounted, car-parking to lagoon-type installations. The installed capacity is soon expected to touch 100 MW