It is well recognized that batteries will form a key component in a sustainable energy ecosystem. And batteries will play an even more pivotal role in the fast growing electric vehicle sector.
What are the R&D and innovation efforts carried out in India for batteries? This post provides an overview.
First, we look at the global innovation emerging trends in batteries
The research and development in the battery field are working towards creating a smaller, lighter, efficient, cost-effective batteries that can last long.
- Lithium sulphur chemistry can store up to 500 Wh/kg which is almost twice that of the other lithium chemistries. The problem in LiS is that the cost is high and the anode material tends to degrade during recharge which reduces the number of charging cycles of the battery.
- Zinc-air batteries (non-rechargeable), and zinc-air fuel cells (mechanically rechargeable) are metal-air batteries powered by oxidizing zinc with oxygen from the air. These batteries have high energy densities and are relatively inexpensive to produce.
- Zinc-air batteries have some properties of fuel cells as well as batteries: the zinc is the fuel, the reaction rate can be controlled by varying the airflow, and oxidized zinc/electrolyte paste can be replaced with fresh paste.
- Possible future applications of this battery include its deployment as an electric vehicle battery and as a utility-scale energy storage system.
- A metal-air electrochemical cell is an electrochemical cell that uses an anode made from pure metal and an external cathode of ambient air, typically with an aqueous or aprotic electrolyte.
- Lithium-air battery uses the oxidation of metal (lithium) at the anode and reduction of oxygen at the cathode to induce a current flow. The major appeal of the metal-air battery is the extremely high energy density. This chemistry starts to approach the energy density of oil and can theoretically deliver 12 kWh per kg.
- The lithium-air battery has never met with as much success as lithium-ion cells due to the difficulty of building a lithium-air cell which can be recharged thousands of times.
- It could be a decade before Metal-air batteries are a commercial reality.
EV Research in Top Indian Colleges
Indian industry innovations for batteries both for EVs and non EV batteries
Innovations in lead acid batteries
Innovations in metal air batteries
Innovations in Li-ion batteries
Innovations and research in emerging battery tech such as flow batteries, solid state batteries, Iron ion battery, sodium-sulphur batteries etc
Categories: Electric Vehicles
About EAI and BioBiz for Bio-CNG
BioBiz for bio-CNG, EAI's specialized consulting division for bio-CNG, provides assistance in market research, strategy consulting, technology vendor/supplier finder assistance and more for the complete bio-CNG value chain – feedstock sourcing, logistics, pre-processing techniques, anaerobic digestion, biogas scrubbing, biogas upgradation, end user markets for bio-CNG and digestate, and more. Send a note to email@example.com if you wish to take BioBiz’s assistance for the Indian bio-CNG market.
About EAI & EV Next
EV Next, EAI's specialized consulting division, provides assistance in market research, strategy consulting, technology vendor/supplier finder assistance and more for the complete EV value chain - Li-ion & Lead Acid Battery Cells & Battery Packs, BMS, Battery Manufacturing equipment, EV charging station, battery swapping station, Li-ion & Lead Acid battery recycling, and for a range of electric vehicles - e-bikes, electric bicycles, electric scooters, electric motorbikes, electric autos, e-autos, e-rickshaws, electric trucks, electric LCVs, electric buses and more. Send a note to firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to take EV Next assistance for the Indian electric vehicle market.