Questions & Answers
1. About what did the Managing Director of a prominent environment company claim recently that it was similar to sitting on a time bomb?
Ans: Growing waste in Ghazipur, Delhi (http://www.eai.in/360/news/pages/6966)
2. Which organization recently announced plans to work on a framework/system that will enable solar PV industry professionals to better understand the latest performance improvements?
Ans: Fraunhofer Institute for Solar Energy Systems (http://www.eai.in/360/news/pages/6977)
3. What is the relationship between the US wind industry growth and the November presidential elections for the country?
Ans: President Obama has said he wants to extend the tax credit as soon as possible, but his challenger for the White House, Republican Mitt Romney, has confirmed he will let the incentive lapse if he is elected in November. (http://www.eai.in/360/news/pages/6939)
4. What is the connection between a famous ERP software company and the electric mobility industry?
Ans: SAP, the world-leader in ERP software manages a research arm that is working on the e-mobility project. (http://telecomengine.com/sites/default/files/special%20SAP%20presentation%20-%20SAP%20e-Car_GB.pdf)
5. Recently, Britain’s National Pig Association blamed an impending shortage in the industry on climate change. What has climate change got to do with pigs?
Ans: High pig feed costs. (http://earthjustice.org/blog/2012-october/friday-finds-the-extreme-food-edition)
6. A company has started using semiconductors made of rather uncommon materials has produced electricity conversion devices that are far more efficient. The company, which says its product can cut down losses beyond 80%, also announced significant partnerships recently. What is the material being used by this company for making the semiconductor?
7. This African country recently lifted restrictions against a supposedly harmful process that enhances recovery of a fossil fuel. This lifting of restrictions has alarmed its citizens who now see a repeat of what is happening in the US In terms of environmental destruction due to this process. Which process?
8. Recently, a prominent US agency announced that there has been an increase in the energy density available from its waste? What, according to the agency, is the reason for this increase?
Ans: More recycling raises average energy content of waste used to generate electricity (http://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.cfm?id=8010)
9. This world famous company is equally famous for its sustainability efforts. It has one of the largest solar rooftop installations in the US (in the top 5), it phased out plastic bags long back, partnering with forest departments to plant millions of trees, and promoted Bring Your Own Bag concept in a big way. Very soon, it plans to start selling one category of this high efficiency product that we all use in our homes, instead of the less efficient categories (or more polluting ones). What will be the only product category that will be sold by this company?
Ans: LED bulbs and lamps by IKEA. (http://gigaom.com/cleantech/ikea-to-sell-only-leds-by-2016/)
10. Which Indian historical landmark got more energy efficient last week, and how?
Ans: India Gate (http://www.eai.in/360/news/pages/6981)
Work in Sustainability Consulting
1st Runner up
Padmatanuja Gutta, Hyderabad
Padmatanuja has done MBA from ISBM, Mumbai. She has over all 20years experience. She has worked in Solar Semiconductor & Titan Energy Systems Limited -Sales &Marketing, Business Development. She is presently working as Project Manager- Shri Shakti Alternative Energy Limited.
2nd Runner up
3rd Runner up