Centre for Wind Energy Technology (C-WET) has been established in Chennai in the year 1998, as an autonomous R&D institution by the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE), Government of India. It is a knowledge-based institution of high quality and dedication, offers services and seeks to find complete solutions for the kinds of difficulties and improvements in the entire spectrum of the wind energy sector by carrying out further research. It has a Wind Turbine Test Station (WTTS) at Kayathar with the technical & partial financial support by DANIDA, Govt. of Denmark.
The Centre for Wind Energy Technology is functioning with the following structure.
* Research & Development unit: Its main focus towards novelty in developments of components as well as in sub-systems of wind turbines by collaborative works with other R&D institutions/industry.
* Wind Resource Assessment Unit: The unit identifies resource rich regions in the country by conducting wind resource micro survey and offers its services to the wind farm developers. To prepare wind map for the nation, it is assessing and analyzing wind resources.
* Testing Unit: To establish world class facilities in testing of complete Wind Turbine Generator Systems (WTGS) according to international standards (IEC) and Type Approval Provisional Scheme (TAPS-2000).
* Standards and Certification Unit: The unit carries out Provisional Type Certification of Wind Turbines as per the Indian Certification Scheme for Wind Turbines viz. Type Approval – Provisional Scheme – TAPS – 2000 (amended). Standards on Wind Energy are being developed by the unit.
* Information, Training & Commercial Service Unit: To establish and update the data bank and serve as finest information centre in wind energy by collecting, collating and analyzing the related information. National and International training workshops are being organised for the benefit of stakeholders by the unit regularly. The unit publishes a quarterly newsletter, PAVAN that carries topical information regarding the field and addresses the need for information, both for casual and serious interest.
CWET web site here