Why should your company consider having a solar PV system on your roof? Here are the top 5 reasons:
1. Utilize your rooftop space which is anyway being wasted – most industrial rooftops are wasted. This is especially true for those industries that need large warehouses for storage.
2. Get control over the future cost of power – Once the capital cost has been invested, solar power is almost free (except for the small maintenance cost). Thus, buying solar for your rooftop ensures that you have control over your power costs for the next 2 years.
3. Solar power costs are going down while cost of grid power is increasing all the time – no need for explanation here
4. Rooftop solar power costs much less than power from diesel gensets. As of Dec 2013, power from diesel gensets costs Rs 17-18 per kWh. The levelised cost of rooftop solar power (with Dec 2013 solar system prices) is less than Rs 8 per kWh.
5. States are coming up with solar power obligations – which implies that you will no choice but to consume solar power in future. Why not generate it yourself instead of purchasing it from a third party developer.
This blog will discuss in detail each of the above 5 reasons. I also welcome your views and opinions on the same – please send your thoughts to narsi at eai.in
Interested in understanding further how to use rooftop solar to reduce diesel based power for your company?
EAI has a dedicated division SURE-FIRE that can provide a blueprint for using rooftop solar and other sustainable/renewable energy resources to reduce your furnace oil, LPG or diesel consumption for your company’s operations. Refer to the EAI SURE-FIRE section for details on how you can get a quick understanding of feasible avenues for your company.
Also: Check out an interesting site on solar: Suncyclopedia, the Solar Encyclopedia