This is a part of the EV Digital Opportunities series
This blog post will discuss the opportunities specific to BMS in the Ev industry. BMS is one of the vital components of EVs. BMS monitors and maintains the battery efficiently with the combination of software and hardware.
- BMS protects the battery from overcharging, deep discharging, overloading, under temperature, over-temperature, and short circuit.
- BMS plays a major role in thermal management, Monitoring, and detecting abnormalities in the batteries in combination with advanced technologies like AI, IoT, cloud data, Big data, etc.
- AI-based BMS to analyze and predict the battery capacity, performance, and life cycle of the battery.
- BMS with self-learning (ML) technology to adopt and act according to the battery condition.
- IoT-based BMS solution to analyze the environment of the battery pack and maintain the working conditions accordingly.
- TI’s solution for wireless BMS – TI’s solution for wireless BMS empowers automakers to reduce the complexity of their designs, improve reliability and reduce vehicle weight to extend driving range. With the flexibility to scale designs across production models, automakers can advance to production faster with TI’s comprehensive wireless BMS offering, including the SimpleLink™ 2.4-GHz CC2662R-Q1 wireless microcontroller (MCU) evaluation module, software and functional safety enablers such as a functional safety manual; failure mode and effects analysis (FMEA); diagnostic analysis (FMEDA); TÜV SÜD concept report; and more.
- Predictive cell diagnostics – BMSTAR® combines highly accurate models of the battery with Artificial Intelligence and advanced estimation methods, to ensure accurate and reliable data on the battery state, including AI based: Predictive Cell Diagnosis & Remaining Useful Life (RUL) Estimation.
- Electronics, machine learning and AI – ION Energy’s flagship BMS platform blends advanced electronics, machine learning software, artificial intelligence and data science with deep domain expertise in energy storage. Ion Energy’s battery intelligence platform Edison Analytics, uses real-time simulations and visualizations designed to extend battery life by up to 40% and reduce the overall ownership cost, thus boosting ROI.
- Predicting battery performance using AI – Researchers from MIT, Stanford, and the Toyota Research Institute (TRI) have used artificial intelligence (AI) to predict the performance of lithium-ion batteries. The machine learning-based system had been trained using data generated from a test chamber where energy was discharged and charged as quickly as possible into 100s of batteries. The data was used to teach AI how to build a better battery. Basically, the battery management system (BMS)should have an algorithm that continually updates the state estimation of the status of each cell group in the pack.
- Self-learning BMS – ITRI’s featured the Self-Learning Battery Management System (SL-BMS), the first to use self-learning algorithms to monitor, regulate and accurately calculate in real time the energy consumption and remaining capacity of electric vehicle batteries, thus helping reduce range anxiety;
- IoT-enabled BMS – Grinntech, a startup specializing in lithium-ion batteries for electric vehicles (EVs) and energy storage systems, unveiled a range of high-tech batteries customized to Indian conditions along with its proprietary IoT-enabled BMS to power two-wheelers, three-wheelers, and tractors/light vehicles.
- Analog Devices’ Wireless BMS – Analog Devices (ADI) and General Motors have announced the development and adoption of the automotive industry’s first wireless battery-management system (wBMS) for the production of electric vehicles. ADI’s wBMS includes all integrated circuits, hardware, and software for power, battery management, RF communication, and system functions in a single system-level product. It supports ASIL-D safety and module-level security, building upon the company’s BMS battery-cell measurement technology. By delivering high accuracy for the lifetime of the vehicle, the system enables maximum energy use per cell required for the best vehicle range and supports safe and sustainable zero-cobalt battery chemistries, such as lithium iron phosphate (LFP).
- Dukosi designs and develops smart batteries which has intelligence embedded at the cell. This energy storage system offers superior performance at reduced cost and can be used in electric vehicles and hybrid electric vehicles, large scale systems which are needed in energy farms, and small scale systems needed for domestic purposes. Delivered in a tiny 5mm x 5mm CMOS chip with embedded software and onboard processing and memory, the Dukosi solution will sense and process temperature, voltage and current data for each cell, and also features our proprietary near field wireless communication. This enables the rich cell information to be analysed and summarised, and sent wirelessly and securely to the battery pack interface unit, greatly reducing the pack complexity, and enhancing flexibility and reliability. The Dukosi solution has been developed with functional safety at the forefront, and to be a core part of ISO26262 compliant systems, as part of the next generation of battery management.
- Qnovo provides software that improves battery performance with patented adaptive fast charging algorithms to produce consumer, carrier and mobile OEM benefits like thinner devices, faster charging, increased daily runtime, longer battery lifetime as well as lower-cost batteries and reduced return costs. Adaptive algorithms utilize charging to diagnose the internal properties of every battery in real-time. The data provide continuous diagnostics of the battery’s aging. Their algorithms then optimize the rate and degree of charging to reduce battery wear and maximize battery life. The adaptive charging algorithms repeat this process every time the battery is plugged into the charger.
- Brill Power improves battery system performance with intelligent control technology. The problem is over time, batteries lose energy storage capacity and power capability since conventional batteries are limited by their weakest cells. The solution by Brill Power’s intelligent control system extends the lifetime of multi-cell batteries while maintaining high performance. The combination of novel hardware and intelligent software solutions change the way multi-cell batteries operate; improving performance, reliability, maintenance, and lifetime. The application of the technology is ideal for stationary storage – from domestic to grid-scale and electric vehicles.
- Calogy Solutions is building a high performance and reliable thermal management system that can help in improving the performance of EV batteries in Cold weather Conditions. Battery TM+ addresses Cell, module, and pack level temperature uniformity is a key asset of our technology with a significant impact on battery lifetime, directly affecting battery price. Safety is addressed by enabling a hermetic battery pack design due to having no inlet-outlet for the coolant (liquid/air). They are building this upon our high performance and reliable thermal management system, TM+, that can effectively keep the battery temperature uniform and in the desired range. In TM+Smart they have added sensor capabilities enabling in-situ measurement of parameters. This leads to more precise monitoring of individual cells inside the battery pack, reducing thermal runaway risks and creating large data-sets for electric vehicle manufacturers. Combined with data-driven algorithms, TM+Smart adds a nervous system and unprecedented intelligence to battery thermal management.
This is a part of the EV Digital Opportunities series
Posts in the series
- EVs and Big Data, Analytics, Customized learning
- EV and IoT / Cloud Solutions, Sensors, Connectivity, Database
- EV and AI / ML, Robotics, Customised learning
- EV mobile software applications, Payment gateways, Shared network
- EV and VR/AR solutions, Multimedia, Image processing
- EV fleet management software, Payment apps, Analytics software
- EV BMS software, PCB, PLC, Hardware circuits
- EV navigation systems software, Multimedia, Satellite communication, Image processing
- EV testing, design and simulation software, Programming, Framework
- EV charging software, Payment gateways, PCB, POS, Hardware circuits, Robotics
- EV Processes automation Softwares, ERP, Robotics
Keywords: Simple Link™ 2.4-GHz CC2662R-Q1 wireless microcontroller, BMSTAR® AI BMS, Predictive Cell Diagnosis & Remaining Useful Life (RUL) Estimation, Self-learning BMS, IoT enabled BMS, AI-enabled BMS, Wireless BMS, Intelligent BMS, Thermal Management, Battery management and monitoring