Summary of the International Energy Agency forecasts in its World Energy Outlook:
* India’s primary energy demand will more than double by 2030, growing an average 3.6 percent every year.
* India will become the third largest net importer of oil before 2025 after the United States and China.
* Net oil imports will rise to 6 million barrels per day in 2030.
* Electricity generation capacity, most of it coal fired, will more than treble from 2005 to 2030.
* About 96 percent of the population will have access to electricity in 2030 from 62 % in 2005.
* Coal imports will increase almost seven-fold, accounting for 28% of India’s total coal needs in 2030 from 12% in 2005.
* India needs $1.25 trillion in energy infrastructure from 2006 to 2030. Three quarters will go to the electricity sector.