Highlights of Maharashtra EV Policy (2018) – Incentives, Subsidies, Exemptions of Electric Vehicle Policy
Last updated: Feb 2020 by Narasimhan Santhanam
This post is a part of EV Next’s EV Perspectives.
EV Next, a division of EAI, is a leading market intelligence & strategic consulting firm for the Indian e-mobility sector.
The Maharashtra state government cabinet has given its nod to the state’s Electric Vehicle Policy 2018. A notification issued by the state government stated that all three segments of the electric vehicle (EV) sector – manufacturing, creation of infrastructure, and consumers – are accounted for in the policy.
- Make Maharashtra leader in EV manufacturing and use
- Create new employment opportunities
- Promote export of EV, EV components and charging equipment
- Promote R&D, innovation and skill development in the EV Sector
- Promote sustainable transportation system
- Electric Vehicles: Increase number of EV registered in Maharashtra to 5,00,000 during the policy period. Initially Government of Maharashtra to promote EV in public transport in six cities i.e. Mumbai, Pune, Aurangabad, Thane, Nagpur and Nashik
- Manufacturing: To generate an investment of Rs.25,000 crores in EV, EV manufacturing and component manufacturing, battery manufacturing/assembly enterprises and charging infrastructure equipment manufacturing in the state.
- Other: To create 1,00,000 jobs in the state
- Commercial public EV charging stations for 2Ws, 3Ws, cars and buses will be eligible for 25% capital subsidy on equipment/machinery (limited up to
- Rs. 10 lacs per station) for first 250 commercial public EV charging stations.
- First 1,000 EV private/public passenger bus buyer whose vehicles are registered in the state will be eligible for user subsidy over policy period of 5 years.
- 10% subsidy for passenger buses registered in the State to private/public bus transport buyer, on base price (maximum limit of Rs. 20 lacs per vehicle) will be eligible to buyer.
- First 1,00,000 EV (2-wheeler-70,000, 3- wheeler-20,000 and 4-wheeler-10,000 all categories combined) registered in the State, private transporter and individual buyer to get end user subsidy over policy period of 5 years.
- 15% subsidy (maximum limit of Rs.5,000 for 2-wheeler, Rs. 12,000 for 3-wheeler, and Rs 1 lac for 4-wheeler) per vehicle to private transport and individual buyer for Electrical Vehicles registered in the State, on base price will be paid to buyer. Subsidy will be transferred to buyer’s bank account within 3 months of purchase date.
- The package of incentives to Pioneer Units, Mega Units and Ultra MegaUnits, Large Units and MSMEs manufacturing Electric vehicles shall be as per the ‘Template of Incentives’.
- Under the Electric Vehicle Policy-2018, throughout the state, manufacturing MSMEs and Large units will be eligible for incentives as per Package Scheme of Incentives (PSI)
Other Taxes and Tolls:
Exemption from road tax and registration fees for Electric Vehicles.
- Petrol pumps will be allowed to setup charging station freely subject to charging station areas qualifying fire and safety standard norms of relevant authorities under relevant acts/rules
- Development Control Rules (DCR) of all local self-Government and Special Planning Authorities will be suitably modified to allow for setting up of common public charging facilities in parking areas of malls, residential properties and parking areas etc.
- As per requirement facility of Robotic Battery Swapping Arm will be created at public bus stations.
Other Significant Features
Promotion of R&D, Innovation and Skill Development in EV Sector:
a) Based on an assessment of feasibility and other details by the High-Power committee, proposal will be prepared for the establishment of centre of excellence and research and development centres, finishing schools and other employment-oriented centres.
b) The Maharashtra State Board of Technical Education (MSBTE), Maharashtra State Skill Development Society (MSSDS) and other agencies will institute training-based certification and placement programmes. They would collaborate with National Automotive Board (NAB) and other associations to understand their human resource requirements. Based on these requirements, a merit based, defined certification and placement procedure shall be instituted so that appropriate manpower is created for the EV industry.
Know more on how EV Next can assist your business in your strategy for the e-mobility and electric vehicles sectors, Here
Wish to know everything about India’s EV market from one place? Check out the India EV Expert Guide, an 800 page comprehensive guide to the Indian EV market. Here
See also the blog posts:
- Highlights of Karnataka EV Policy (2017-2018) – Incentives, Subsidies, Exemptions of Electric Vehicle Policy
- Highlights of Kerala EV Policy (2017-2018) – Incentives, Subsidies, Exemptions of Electric Vehicle Policy
- Highlights of Uttar Pradesh EV Policy 2018 – Incentives, Subsidies, Exemptions of UP Electric Vehicle Policy
Comprehensive Inputs on Indian EV Ecosystem
Check out the following sections for comprehensive inputs on Indian EV ecosystem (click on each section for more details)
Categories: E-mobility, Electric Vehicles, EV Policies & Regulations, India State EV Policies, Policies and Regulations
About EAI and BioBiz for Bio-CNG
BioBiz for bio-CNG, EAI's specialized consulting division for bio-CNG, provides assistance in market research, strategy consulting, technology vendor/supplier finder assistance and more for the complete bio-CNG value chain – feedstock sourcing, logistics, pre-processing techniques, anaerobic digestion, biogas scrubbing, biogas upgradation, end user markets for bio-CNG and digestate, and more. Send a note to firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to take BioBiz’s assistance for the Indian bio-CNG market.
About EAI & EV Next
EV Next, EAI's specialized consulting division, provides assistance in market research, strategy consulting, technology vendor/supplier finder assistance and more for the complete EV value chain - Li-ion & Lead Acid Battery Cells & Battery Packs, BMS, Battery Manufacturing equipment, EV charging station, battery swapping station, Li-ion & Lead Acid battery recycling, and for a range of electric vehicles - e-bikes, electric bicycles, electric scooters, electric motorbikes, electric autos, e-autos, e-rickshaws, electric trucks, electric LCVs, electric buses and more. Send a note to email@example.com if you wish to take EV Next assistance for the Indian electric vehicle market.