Last updated: Feb 2020 by Narasimhan Santhanam
This post is a part of EV Next’s EV Perspectives.
EV Next, a division of EAI, is a leading market intelligence & strategic consulting firm for the Indian e-mobility sector.
The Indian automobile sector is one of the most prominent sectors of the country, accounting for nearly 7.1% of the national GDP. India has set itself an ambitious target of having only electric vehicles (EV) by 2030, which is expected to increase the demand for lithium-ion batteries in India, significantly. The high cost, associated with batteries that are used in the electric vehicles, is considered to be critical for India’s ambitious target. Currently, as of 2018, the supply chain for EVs in India is nascent, highly unorganized. We are hence providing specific inputs based on prominent OEMs in the Indian EV sector (Click on each section for more details).
- Trends in Li-ion battery – Energy Density, Anode & Cathode Chemistry Trends for Lithium-Ion Batteries – The Li-ion battery will be the most important component of the electric vehicle ecosystem worldwide at least until 2030 as it is the component that can make a significant difference to both the cost and performance of the electric vehicle. This post provides detailed trends data and analyses for the Li-ion batteries in terms of energy density, the emerging chemistries and other important dimensions of the Li-ion battery.
- Growth of EV Battery Swapping Station – Locations, Standards, Costs for Electric Vehicle Battery Swap Market – India’s EV battery swap market is nascent as of early 2020, though some pioneers have already started implementing interesting swapping solutions in some parts of the country in collaboration with OEMs and municipalities. This post provides details for Indian EV battery swapping stations, with specific focus on standards for these facilities and the cost involved for setting up these.
- How long will it take to charge EV batteries? – Level 1 & 2 AC, Fast DC Charging Time – The charging time is one of the key concerns for any electric vehicle buyer. Used to filling petrol or diesel at a petrol station in just a few minutes, the thought of having to wait for many hours to fill a battery is indeed discouraging for a prospective EV buyer. But there’s hope. Fast charging DC batteries can finish charging an electric vehicle battery in less than an hour, in select cases within 30 minutes. This post delves into the specific topic of charging duration and provides detailed data points for charging time for AC and DC batteries.
- World’s Leading Suppliers of Li-ion Batteries for EVs – Global Electric Vehicle Battery Vendors – There are over 10 prominent global corporates who are leaders in Li-ion battery technologies and supplies. Who are they and what are their profiles? This blog post provides the list and details of these leading companies.
- Cost of Li-ion Batteries – Cost Trends 2018-2030 – $/kWh with Break-Ups – A Li-ion battery comprises, the component level a cathode, anode, electrolyte and separator, and at the battery pack level in addition comprises the contained in which it is packed, a BMS and thermal management systems. This post provides cost trends for Li-ion batteries along with cost break–ups for the various stages and components of the Li-ion battery value chain.
- Electric Vehicles Supply Chain in India – Components for E-scooters, Electric Cars, E-rickshaws – The supply chain for the components of electric vehicles is fast evolving in India. Part of the suppliers in the supply chain are from India while many components (especially battery cells and motors) are still sourced from outside India for many OEMs. This post provides insights on the Indian EV supply chain characteristics for all types of electric vehicles – from the small electric bicycles to premium electric cars.
- Motors used in EVs – BLDC, Induction, SRM, Permanent Magnet Motors for Electric Vehicles -The powertrain of the electric vehicle is driven by the motor. Different types of motors are used for different types and classes of electric vehicles, with each having its own pros and cons. This post provides detailed inputs on the various types of motors used in electric vehicles and provides examples of prominent EV OEMs using each type of motor.
- Electric Vehicle Transmission System – EV Transmission, Gears, Powertrain – Here’s a post that provides detailed inputs on the EV transmission system which forms an important part of the EV powertrain.
- AC, DC Motors in Electric Vehicles – Types of Motors in Use in Electric Cars, E-scooters – Both AC and DC motors are used in electric vehicles. The choice of AC or DC motor is made based on a number of factors, the type and size of the vehicle only being one of them. This post provides more clarity on the AC and DC motors used in electric vehicles, the reasons behind their choice and examples of a few prominent OEMs using either of these motor types.
- India Electric Vehicle Market Strategic Insights & Perspectives from EAI – Perspectives from EV industry experts through 200+ blog posts.
Know more on how EV Next can assist your business in your strategy for the e-mobility and electric vehicles sectors, Here
Wish to know everything about India’s EV market from one place? Check out the India EV Expert Guide, an 800 page comprehensive guide to the Indian EV market. Here
Comprehensive Inputs on Indian EV Ecosystem
Check out the following sections for comprehensive inputs on Indian EV ecosystem (click on each section for more details)
Categories: E-mobility, E-mobility Perspectives, Electric Vehicles
About EAI and BioBiz for Bio-CNG
BioBiz for bio-CNG, EAI's specialized consulting division for bio-CNG, provides assistance in market research, strategy consulting, technology vendor/supplier finder assistance and more for the complete bio-CNG value chain – feedstock sourcing, logistics, pre-processing techniques, anaerobic digestion, biogas scrubbing, biogas upgradation, end user markets for bio-CNG and digestate, and more. Send a note to firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to take BioBiz’s assistance for the Indian bio-CNG market.
About EAI & EV Next
EV Next, EAI's specialized consulting division, provides assistance in market research, strategy consulting, technology vendor/supplier finder assistance and more for the complete EV value chain - Li-ion & Lead Acid Battery Cells & Battery Packs, BMS, Battery Manufacturing equipment, EV charging station, battery swapping station, Li-ion & Lead Acid battery recycling, and for a range of electric vehicles - e-bikes, electric bicycles, electric scooters, electric motorbikes, electric autos, e-autos, e-rickshaws, electric trucks, electric LCVs, electric buses and more. Send a note to email@example.com if you wish to take EV Next assistance for the Indian electric vehicle market.
Devising Your EV Strategy: White Paper from EAI.