Last updated: Feb 2020 by Narasimhan Santhanam
This post is a part of EV Next’s EV Perspectives.
EV Next, a division of EAI, is a leading market intelligence & strategic consulting firm for the Indian e-mobility sector.
Source of the components for electric vehicles is an important factor that determines both the vehicle’s performance and cost. The OEM and component manufacturer are generally connected by partnerships formed on the basis of ease of business and economics.
Key stakeholders in an EV industry include raw material suppliers, suppliers of EV components and charging stations, OEMs, distributors, charging station owners, customers and recyclers.
The major suppliers of key components like motor, battery and onboard charger for top companies like Tesla, Toyota Prius & Nissan Leaf are discussed in detail.
The essential electric parts, including the battery pack, electric motor, on-board charger and universal connector are all homegrown Tesla Motors components, but most of the other parts are flown in from automotive suppliers around the globe including U.S., Europe and Asia. Some of these include
- Brakes – Brembo, Italy
- Electric Power Steering – ZF, Germany
- Power Seat Recliner – Fisher Dynamics, US
- Lithium-ion batteries – Panasonic
In August 2017, Igarashi Motors India Pvt. Ltd agreed to supply motors for Model 3 Electric car.
Igarashi also agreed to supply the following products to Tesla:
- Motors for Tesla X’s falcon doors
- Door lever retractors
- Motors for steering tilt and column adjustment
As of 2018, the following is a list of some of the key suppliers for Tesla’s manufacturing production, along with the components they supply.
- AGC Automotive: Windshields
- Brembo: Brakes
- Fisher Dynamics: Power seats
- Inteva Products: Instrument panel
- Modine Manufacturing Co.: Battery chiller
- Sika: Acoustic dampers
- Stabilus: Liftgate gas spring
- ZF Lenksysteme: Power steering mechanism
Other suppliers include
- ABC Group
- Hitachi Cable America
- Hope Global
- Magna International
- Methode Electronics
- PSM International
- T1 Automotive and
- Zanini Auto Group
Toyota Prius is a hybrid electric automobile launched by Toyota in end 2015. A list of suppliers of major EV components for Toyota Prius is provided below:
- Hitachi Automotive Systems Ltd. – Engine (Air Flow Sensor)
- Denso Corp. – Inverter
- Panasonic – Lithium ion Battery
- KYB – Rear Shock Absorber
- JTEKT Corp. – Electric power steering column
- Asahi Glass Co. Ltd. – Windshield
- Yazaki Corp. – High-voltage wiring harness (compressor ~ PCU)
Nissan launched its second generation electric vehicle “Nissan Leaf” in 2017. A list of suppliers of major EV components for Nissan’s new model is provided.
- Battery Cell & Battery Pack – AESC
- Battery Management System – Calsonic Kansei
- Power Electronics – Calsonic Kansei/Denso
- Motor – Manufactured in-house
- Transmission (Single Speed) – Aichi
Know more on how EV Next can assist your business in your strategy for the e-mobility and electric vehicles sectors, Here
Wish to know everything about India’s EV market from one place? Check out the India EV Expert Guide, an 800 page comprehensive guide to the Indian EV market. Here
Please refer to the below links to know
- Cost Components for Setting Up an EV Charging Station – AC, DC Fast Charging – Hardware, Software, Permits…
- Indian Companies Investing in Electric Vehicles – Hero, TVS, Mahindra, Ashok Leyland, Tata, Hyundai, Goldstone, Honda, Maruti, HSW, JBM, Force
Comprehensive Inputs on Indian EV Ecosystem
Check out the following sections for comprehensive inputs on Indian EV ecosystem (click on each section for more details)
Categories: E-mobility, Electric Vehicles, EV Motors, EV Powertrain
About EAI and BioBiz for Bio-CNG
BioBiz for bio-CNG, EAI's specialized consulting division for bio-CNG, provides assistance in market research, strategy consulting, technology vendor/supplier finder assistance and more for the complete bio-CNG value chain – feedstock sourcing, logistics, pre-processing techniques, anaerobic digestion, biogas scrubbing, biogas upgradation, end user markets for bio-CNG and digestate, and more. Send a note to email@example.com if you wish to take BioBiz’s assistance for the Indian bio-CNG market.
About EAI & EV Next
EV Next, EAI's specialized consulting division, provides assistance in market research, strategy consulting, technology vendor/supplier finder assistance and more for the complete EV value chain - Li-ion & Lead Acid Battery Cells & Battery Packs, BMS, Battery Manufacturing equipment, EV charging station, battery swapping station, Li-ion & Lead Acid battery recycling, and for a range of electric vehicles - e-bikes, electric bicycles, electric scooters, electric motorbikes, electric autos, e-autos, e-rickshaws, electric trucks, electric LCVs, electric buses and more. Send a note to firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to take EV Next assistance for the Indian electric vehicle market.