Key Indian Battery Makers Plans for EVs – Exide, Amara Raja, HBL, Eveready Strategy for Electric Vehicle Batteries
Currently, as of 2018, the supply chain for EVs in India is nascent, highly unorganized. We are hence providing specific inputs based on prominent OEMs.
• In mid-2017, Exide Industries Ltd. announced that it would start producing batteries for electric vehicles. The e-rickshaw market offers “huge opportunities” for growth as sales of e-rickshaws have expanded “spontaneously” without much government backing and around one million e-rickshaws have already been launched on Indian roads
• The company was also exploring the market to launch batteries for electric two-wheelers. However, as the two-wheelers run only on lithium-ion batteries, which are quite expensive, the company said that production of these batteries would start when the demand for electric two-wheelers increases
• In the same year (2017), the company was planning to set up a lithium ion battery plant by 2018. The company said it will source technology from China-based Chaowei Power, a German battery manufacturer, and from the Indian Institute of Technology, Chennai. The deal was signed at the beginning of 2017 and will get over by 2025
• The company also said that it has been manufacturing batteries for electric rickshaws. Batteries are being offered both in tubular as well as in flat plate design to ensure maximum performance under the challenging road conditions. The company aims to offer e-mobility solutions for a wide range of applications, such as e-vans and e-buses, among others
• In 2016, Amara Raja Group (ARG), an established player in automobile batteries, announced that it was looking to enter electric car batteries space in due course. The company’s R&D center was working on electric car batteries and other new technologies. However, as the market was nascent, the company said that it would hopefully enter into the segment whenever the market is favorable for electric car battery production.
During end 2017, the company announced that it will strengthen its two-wheeler battery plant with an estimated investment of Rs 700 crore. The company said it had started catering to electric vehicles as a pilot.
Other companies interested or planing to setup EV cell manufacturing unit are JSW, Adani, Mahindra, Hero, and Panasonic.
Apart from the above companies Munoth Industries Ltd already started the work for 1.2 GW Battery cell manufacturing unit at Tirupathi.
See also the blog posts:
- Current and Expected Market Sizes of Electric Vehicles in India – E-scooter, Electric Car, Electric Rickshaws, E-bikes
- Strategy for Indian Electric Vehicle Growth – Product, Tech, Infra Strategies for EV Market
- Indian Electric Vehicle Market Entry Strategy – Recommendations for Different Types of Investors
Comprehensive Inputs on Indian EV Ecosystem
Check out the following sections for comprehensive inputs on Indian EV ecosystem (click on each section for more details)
Devising Your EV Strategy: White Paper from EAI.
About EAI & EVNext
EVNext, EAI's specialized consulting division, provides assistance in market research, strategy consulting, technology vendor/supplier finder assistance and more for the complete EV value chain - Li-ion & Lead Acid Battery Cells & Battery Packs, BMS, Battery Manufacturing equipment, EV charging station, battery swapping station, Li-ion & Lead Acid battery recycling, and for a range of electric vehicles - e-bikes, electric bicycles, electric scooters, electric motorbikes, electric autos, e-autos, e-rickshaws, electric trucks, electric LCVs, electric buses and more. Send a note to email@example.com if you wish to take EVNext assistance for the Indian electric vehicle market.
EAI's specialized consulting has benefitted clients all across India and select countries outside:
EAI has provided consulting & industry research assistance across India, having clients who have benefitted from our consulting or research from the following cities:
Ahmedabad | Amravati | Amritsar | Asansol | Aurangabad | Bangalore (Bengaluru) | Belgaum | Bhavnagar | Bhopal | Bhubaneswar | Bikaner | Chandigarh | Chennai (Madras) | Coimbatore | Cuttack | Dehradun | Delhi | Dhanbad | Durgapur | Faridabad | Firozabad | Gandhinagar | Gangtok | Ghaziabad | Guntur | Gurgaon | Guwahati | Gwalior | Hyderabad | Indore | Jabalpur | Jaipur | Jalandhar | Jalgaon | Jammu | Jamnagar | Jamshedpur | Jodhpur | Kalyan | Kanpur | Kochi (Cochin) | Kolhapur | Kolkata (Calcutta) | Kota | Kozhikode | Lucknow | Ludhiana | Madurai | Mangalore | Meerut | Mumbai (Bombay) | Mysore (Mysuru)| Nagpur | Nashik | Navi Mumbai | Nellore | Noida | Patna | Pimpri & Chinchwad | Pune | Raipur | Rajkot | Ranchi | Salem | Sangli | Solapur | Surat | Thane | Thiruvananthapuram (Trivandrum) | Tiruchirapally (Trichy) | Udaipur | Vadodara (Baroda) | Vijayawada | Vishakapatnam | Warangal
Countries worldwide where EAI has assisted clients through research reports or consulting
Australia | Austria | Bahrain | Belgium | Brazil | Canada | Chile | China | Croatia | Czech Republic | Denmark | Estonia | Finland | France | Germany | Hong Kong | Hungary | Greece | Iceland | India | Indonesia | Ireland | Israel | Italy | Japan | Kuwait | Latvia | Lithuania | Luxembourg | Malaysia | Malta | Mexico | Netherlands | New Zealand | Norway | Portugal | Republic of Korea (South Korea) | Russia | Saudi Arabia | Singapore | Slovakia | Slovenia | South Africa | Spain | Sweden | Switzerland | Thailand | Tunisia | Turkey | United Kingdom (UK) | United States of America (USA)
100s of Solar Questions Answered @ Ask Solar Mango - Read More