Mahindra Electric’s Plans for E-Mobility – EV Next
This post is a part of EV Next’s EV Perspectives.
EV Next, a division of EAI, is a leading market intelligence & strategic consulting firm for the Indian e-mobility sector.
The Mahindra Electric Plant in Bengaluru is a green facility that makes green vehicles. It is the first automobile factory to get a platinum rating from Indian Green Building Council. It was inaugurated in August 2012 and can make 30,000 cars every year. The cars are made using green-sourced materials, and in a facility that includes a rooftop solar power plant, rainwater harvesting system, and optimized ventilating and lighting.
Mahindra Electric Mobility is the leader of the electric vehicle technology in the country. To promote the growth of Electric Vehicles (EV) in the country, Mahindra & Mahindra (a part of the $19 billion Mahindra Group) sought the opportunity to combine their years of car manufacturing expertise with the country’s leading EV manufacturer- Reva Electric Car Company (founded in 1994) and renamed it to Mahindra Reva Electric Vehicles.
The company’s electric vehicle products include 5 electric cars, 1 electric minivan, 1 electric bus and 2 electric rickshaws.
- Electric 3 Wheelers: E-Alfa & Treo
- Electric 4 Wheelers: e2o, e2o Plus, e-Verito
- Electric Bus: E-Supro Minivan, E-Cosmo
Mahindra E2O plus and the eVerito displayed at the Auto Expo 2018
The Treo Electric Auto Rickshaw
- The company plans to launch E-KUV and E-XUV in september 2020.
- The Mahindra E-XUV is expected to come with a new electric powertrain technology powered by a Lithium-Ion battery developed in collaboration with LG Chem. In fact, LG Chem will develop a unique cell exclusively for India application and will also supply Lithium-ion cells based on nickel-manganese- cobalt (NMC) chemistry with high energy density.
- The company plans an additional investment of Rs. 9 billion in EV over the next 3-5 years and is looking for potential investors to drive its e-mobility development on a global scale starting FY20.
- They also announced the road map to their future: EV 2.0 in May, 2017. Under this strategy, they are looking to develop and launch products to cover two broad segments – one of mass transportation and the other of high performance vehicles.
- Mahindra is planning to bring in Peugeot Motorcycles e-Ludix scooter in the Indian markets. Designed in Pune, manufactured in Pithampur, the e-Ludix is being sold in France currently. The same brand is now being engineered to meet the Indian market cost.
|e-Cosmo electric bus||e-Supro electric LCV|
Mahindra Electric’s own charging station displayed at the Auto Expo 2018
- Mahindra Electric and SmartE signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to drive electric mobility forward in India. Under the MoU, SmartE will introduce the first 1,000 Mahindra Treo and Treo Yaari electric three wheelers in Delhi-NCR by March 2019. The company also plans to deploy a total of 10,000 Mahindra electric three-wheelers across the country by 2020.
- In April 2018, Mahindra Electric had partnered with Zoomcar, as part of which, the auto major will offer its 100 electric vehicle ‘e20 plus’ on the latter’s platform in the capital.
- In Mar 2018, the company partnered with LG Chem to develop advanced lithium-ion power storage technology. As part of the partnership, LG Chem will build a fuel cell specifically for Indian application and will also supply NMC-based Li-ion batteries with high energy density.
- In Nov 2017, Uber partnered with Mahindra to pilot electric vehicles on its platform in India
Mahindra electric developed a customizable EV architecture, which could be used for different categories and segments of vehicles.
Mahindra Electric Scalable Modular Architecture(MESMA) 350 displayed at the Auto Expo 2020
Other Strategic Perspectives
- Mahindra & Mahindra CEO Pawan Goenka said that even a 30% penetration for electric vehicles by 2030 will mean a market in excess of 3 million with zero tailpipe emissions and over 7 million vehicles with conventional combustion engines that will be much cleaner with BS VI emission norms. This will ensure that vehicle makers invest in all forms of powertrain.
- On the passenger segment front, they would first look at electrifying some of the existing products from the Mahindra stable.
e KUV at the Auto Expo 2018
e XUV at the Auto Expo 2020
- Aiming to localise electric vehicle (EV) production, Mahindra Electric has announced that it will be exporting EV powertrains to the South Korean and European market, starting from 2020. So the company is exploring partnerships with global manufacturers to jointly develop electric vehicles and their powertrains.
Mahindra Electric Concept Funster at the Auto Expo 2020
Read EV Next posts on the India electric vehicle strategy for these companies: ABB | ACME | Altigreen Propulsion | Amara Raja | Ashok Leyland | Ather Energy | Audi | Bajaj | BASF | Bharat Forge | Black & Veatch | BMW | Bosch | Continental AG | Denso | Exide | Exicom | Ford | Fortum | General Motors | Great Wall Motors| Greaves | Hella | Hero Electric | Honda | Hyundai | JBM | Kia | Kinetic Green | LG | MG Motors | Nissan | Ola | Olectra | Panasonic | Piaggio | Porsche | Renault | Samsung SDI | Schneider Electric | Sun Mobility | Tata Autocomp | Tata Motors | Tata Power | Toyota | TVS Motors | Uber | UL | Volvo |
Know more on how EV Next can assist your business in your strategy for the e-mobility and electric vehicles sectors, Here
Wish to know everything about India’s EV market from one place? Check out the India EV Expert Guide, an 800 page comprehensive guide to the Indian EV market. Here
Categories: E-mobility, Electric Vehicles, EV OEMs Strategy, Indian E-mobility Strategy
About EAI and BioBiz for Bio-CNG
BioBiz for bio-CNG, EAI's specialized consulting division for bio-CNG, provides assistance in market research, strategy consulting, technology vendor/supplier finder assistance and more for the complete bio-CNG value chain – feedstock sourcing, logistics, pre-processing techniques, anaerobic digestion, biogas scrubbing, biogas upgradation, end user markets for bio-CNG and digestate, and more. Send a note to firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to take BioBiz’s assistance for the Indian bio-CNG market.
About EAI & EV Next
EV Next, EAI's specialized consulting division, provides assistance in market research, strategy consulting, technology vendor/supplier finder assistance and more for the complete EV value chain - Li-ion & Lead Acid Battery Cells & Battery Packs, BMS, Battery Manufacturing equipment, EV charging station, battery swapping station, Li-ion & Lead Acid battery recycling, and for a range of electric vehicles - e-bikes, electric bicycles, electric scooters, electric motorbikes, electric autos, e-autos, e-rickshaws, electric trucks, electric LCVs, electric buses and more. Send a note to email@example.com if you wish to take EV Next assistance for the Indian electric vehicle market.