Piaggio’s Plans for E-Mobility – EV Next
This post is a part of EV Next’s EV Perspectives.
EV Next, a division of EAI, is a leading market intelligence & strategic consulting firm for the Indian e-mobility sector.
Piaggio India, India’s 2nd largest three wheeler maker was founded in 1884 will focus on their strength area which is Small commercial vehicles (three wheeled EV) mostly.
It has also planned to invest 200-300 crore in product & technology development in India which have a small amount dedicated to EV segment since the proposed budget was planned two years ago as EVs weren’t familiar in India by that time.
Piaggio & C. SpA is an Italian motor vehicle manufacturer, which produces a range of two-wheeled motor vehicles and compact commercial vehicles under seven brands: Piaggio, Vespa, Gilera, Aprilia, Moto Guzzi, Derbi, and Scarabeo. Its corporate headquarters are located in Pontedera, Italy. The company was founded by Rinaldo Piaggio in 1884, initially producing locomotives and railway carriages. The manufacturer has six research-and-development centers and operates in over 50 countries.
- Piaggio launched their maiden electric vehicle for the indian market , the Ape E-City in December, 2019.
- The company also showcased a prototype of the Ape E-City featuring a fixed battery.
- At the Auto Expo 2020, Piaggio India unveiled their first ever scooter type – Vespa Elettrica.
Vespa Elettrica at the Auto Expo 2018
- The company will launch the Ape E-City in Chandigarh, Mohali and Gurugram in the first phase in partnership with Sun Mobility. The partners plan to have 50 quick charging stations spread across 10 cities by March next year.
- In december 2019, Piaggio CEO Diego Graffi said that Piaggio has earmarked a total capital expenditure of Rs 300 crore for four years, between 2018 and 2022. EVs would however be only a little part of the expenditure.
- The company has partnered with Sun Mobility for Battery Swappable Stations service from December, 2019.
- Besides the domestic market, the company is also looking to export its electric product range to countries like Nepal, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh as well as some locations in Africa.
Read EV Next posts on the India electric vehicle strategy for these companies: ABB | ACME | Altigreen Propulsion | Amara Raja | Ashok Leyland | Ather Energy | Audi | Bajaj | BASF | Bharat Forge | Black & Veatch | BMW | Bosch | Continental AG | Denso | Exide | Exicom | Ford | Fortum | General Motors | Great Wall Motors| Greaves | Hella | Hero Electric | Honda | Hyundai | JBM | Kia | Kinetic Green | LG | Mahindra Electric | MG Motors | Nissan | Ola | Olectra | Panasonic | Porsche | Renault | Samsung SDI | Schneider Electric | Sun Mobility | Tata Autocomp | Tata Motors | Tata Power | Toyota | TVS Motors | Uber | UL | Volvo |
Know more on how EV Next can assist your business in your strategy for the e-mobility and electric vehicles sectors, Here
Wish to know everything about India’s EV market from one place? Check out the India EV Expert Guide, an 800 page comprehensive guide to the Indian EV market. Here
Categories: E-mobility, Electric Vehicles, EV OEMs Strategy, Indian E-mobility Strategy
About EAI and BioBiz for Bio-CNG
BioBiz for bio-CNG, EAI's specialized consulting division for bio-CNG, provides assistance in market research, strategy consulting, technology vendor/supplier finder assistance and more for the complete bio-CNG value chain – feedstock sourcing, logistics, pre-processing techniques, anaerobic digestion, biogas scrubbing, biogas upgradation, end user markets for bio-CNG and digestate, and more. Send a note to firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to take BioBiz’s assistance for the Indian bio-CNG market.
About EAI & EV Next
EV Next, EAI's specialized consulting division, provides assistance in market research, strategy consulting, technology vendor/supplier finder assistance and more for the complete EV value chain - Li-ion & Lead Acid Battery Cells & Battery Packs, BMS, Battery Manufacturing equipment, EV charging station, battery swapping station, Li-ion & Lead Acid battery recycling, and for a range of electric vehicles - e-bikes, electric bicycles, electric scooters, electric motorbikes, electric autos, e-autos, e-rickshaws, electric trucks, electric LCVs, electric buses and more. Send a note to email@example.com if you wish to take EV Next assistance for the Indian electric vehicle market.