Panasonic’s Plans for E-Mobility – EV Next
This post is a part of EV Next’s EV Perspectives.
EV Next, a division of EAI, is a leading market intelligence & strategic consulting firm for the Indian e-mobility sector.
Panasonic became the latest company to join an expanding list of global companies looking to gain early market share in the ready-to-boom Indian electric mobility market with the launch of its Nymbus Charging stations.
Panasonic Automotive has decades of electrified-vehicle experience, from the development of battery cells to mass production of technologies for global manufacturers. In addition to supplying battery cells for hybrid, plug-in hybrid, and full-electric vehicle lines, the company also designs, engineers, and manufactures complete battery systems with the objective of optimizing safety and performance.
The company described Nymbus as a ‘futuristic charging service’ that includes charging stations, swap stations, on-board charging, telematics systems, as well as ‘virtual components like cloud service, analytics, intuitive dashboard, and artificial intelligence to deliver a one-stop solution‘.
- Panasonic has announced its first steps in the electric vehicle (EV) industry in India, with the launch of Nymbus, its new EV-charging service in May 2019.
- Panasonic said it will deploy Nymbus on 150 SmartE’s electric three-wheelers and on 25 qQuick scooters within the Delhi NCR region at the launch.
- The company also reportedly plans to expand the system to Bangalore, Pune, Hyderabad, Chennai and Amaravati over the next three years, and an additional 25 Indian Cities by 2025, with a target of 1 million vehicles envisioned by that date.
- Panasonic Corporation of Japan is exploring opportunities to establish lithium-ion (lithium-ion) battery pack facilities in India. Panasonic will initially assemble batteries for two and three-wheelers because the Union Government wants to drive the electrification of these two areas.
The Japanese electronics giant has reportedly partnered with EV three wheeler manufacturing company SmartE and electric scooter sharing service qQuick, for the first phase of its service offering in May 2019.
The Nymbus charging station was developed by Panasonic R&D in India. The company collaborated with BSES Yamuna Power Limited to set up an electric vehicle charging station at their New Delhi head office. This pilot facility was aimed at studying the charging behavior and pattern, real-time charging data, app-based control, and automated payment mechanism.
Other Strategic Perspectives
Atul Arya, head of the Energy Systems division at Panasonic India said, “In the (EV) ecosystem, we saw that three and two-wheeler mobility will be the biggest players in India.” in an interview in May 2019.
- Electronics giant Panasonic and carmaker Toyota launched the Prime Planet Energy & Solutions Inc joint venture (JV) in February 2020 which was announced 13 months ago. The JV will manufacture electric vehicle (EV) batteries based on a smaller prismatic format than cylindrical alternatives.
- Panasonic was also manufacturing Li-ion batteries for EVs in collaboration with Tesla. But with Tesla looking for other manufacturers for its uses in different regions, the JV has been limited.
Read EV Next posts on the India electric vehicle strategy for these companies: ABB | ACME | Altigreen Propulsion | Amara Raja | Ashok Leyland | Ather Energy | Audi | Bajaj | BASF | Bharat Forge | Black & Veatch | BMW | Bosch | Continental AG | Denso | Exide | Exicom | Ford | Fortum | General Motors | Great Wall Motors| Greaves | Hella | Hero Electric | Honda | Hyundai | JBM | Kia | Kinetic Green | LG | Mahindra Electric | MG Motors | Nissan | Ola | Olectra | Piaggio | Porsche | Renault | Samsung SDI | Schneider Electric | Sun Mobility | Tata Autocomp | Tata Motors | Tata Power | Toyota | TVS Motors | Uber | UL | Volvo |
Know more on how EV Next can assist your business in your strategy for the e-mobility and electric vehicles sectors, Here
Wish to know everything about India’s EV market from one place? Check out the India EV Expert Guide, an 800 page comprehensive guide to the Indian EV market. Here
Categories: E-mobility, Electric Vehicles, EV Batteries Strategy, EV Charging and Swapping Strategy, Indian E-mobility Strategy
About EAI and BioBiz for Bio-CNG
BioBiz for bio-CNG, EAI's specialized consulting division for bio-CNG, provides assistance in market research, strategy consulting, technology vendor/supplier finder assistance and more for the complete bio-CNG value chain – feedstock sourcing, logistics, pre-processing techniques, anaerobic digestion, biogas scrubbing, biogas upgradation, end user markets for bio-CNG and digestate, and more. Send a note to email@example.com if you wish to take BioBiz’s assistance for the Indian bio-CNG market.
About EAI & EV Next
EV Next, EAI's specialized consulting division, provides assistance in market research, strategy consulting, technology vendor/supplier finder assistance and more for the complete EV value chain - Li-ion & Lead Acid Battery Cells & Battery Packs, BMS, Battery Manufacturing equipment, EV charging station, battery swapping station, Li-ion & Lead Acid battery recycling, and for a range of electric vehicles - e-bikes, electric bicycles, electric scooters, electric motorbikes, electric autos, e-autos, e-rickshaws, electric trucks, electric LCVs, electric buses and more. Send a note to firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to take EV Next assistance for the Indian electric vehicle market.