Sun Mobility’s Plans for E-Mobility – EV Next
This post is a part of EV Next’s EV Perspectives.
EV Next, a division of EAI, is a leading market intelligence & strategic consulting firm for the Indian e-mobility sector.
Recognized as the top 5 startup at the Entrepreneurship World Cup at the Misk Global Forum, Saudi Arabia, Sun Mobility offers battery swapping facility for special ‘smart batteries’ for 2, 3 wheelers and buses.
SUN Mobility is a global leader providing energy infrastructure and services to the transportation sector that are faster, cheaper and more convenient, making mass migration to a sustainable, pollution-free future possible. It is a 50:50 joint venture between Virya Mobility 5.0 and SUN New Energy Systems, pioneers in areas of electric mobility and clean energy. The company was established in April 2017 and is led by Chetan Maini, previously founder of Reva now Mahindra Reva, and Uday Khemka, Vice Chairman of SUN Group, two of India’s leaders in the new energy economy. The organization is working with STUs, fleet operators, shared mobility providers, and automotive OEMs across all platforms including 2/3 wheelers, cars and buses to challenge the status quo with an economical, scalable and smarter way forward.
- The company offers battery as a service business to fleet operators or OEMs. The Smart Battery is smaller, lighter, and swiftly swappable confronting long-charging time.
- They are connected, continuously monitored and real time analysed for health, safety and performance.
- They are provided with advanced telemetry for communication.
- The Quick Interchange Station houses several of the smart batteries which can be swapped instantly with the exhausted vehicle battery with the swapping time lasting less than 5 minutes.
- The smart network is a group of swapping stations mapped effectively to provide an easy swapping facility.
- In Jul 2017, Ashok Leyland partnered with Sun Mobility to develop electric buses with swap-and-charge battery technology. The partners have unveiled Circuit S, India’s first electric bus equipped with swappable batteries.
- In Sep 2017, Sun Mobility announced that it plans to partner with Leclanché SA for developing battery storage solutions.
- In June 2018 SUN Mobility partnered with Microsoft to build Smart Network for its EV energy infrastructure
- SUN Mobility inked a Memorandum of Understanding with the Andhra Pradesh Economic Development Board (APEDB) in February 2018. With an aim to help change the way the state commutes, the long-term investment agreement will focus on setting up Interoperable Electric Vehicle Charging/Swapping infrastructure, including Smart Batteries™, Quick Interchange Stations™ and Smart Network in the state. It will begin with a pilot in Visakhapatnam, followed by a wide roll-out in select cities across the state. The project is spread over 3 to 5 years, and will include buses, 3-wheelers, taxis and intra-city cargo vehicles.
- In July 2019, formed a partnership with Uber India for battery swapping for the fleet operator’s three wheelers.
- In October 2019, formed a partnership with SmartE, to provide swappable batteries and infrastructure for its fleet.
- In January 2020, formed a partnership with Piaggio India to power Ape E-city rickshaws.
The company is currently trying to test their smart batteries.
Read EV Next posts on the India electric vehicle strategy for these companies: ABB | ACME | Altigreen Propulsion | Amara Raja | Ashok Leyland | Ather Energy | Audi | Bajaj | BASF | Bharat Forge | Black & Veatch | BMW | Bosch | Continental AG | Denso | Exide | Exicom | Ford | Fortum | General Motors | Great Wall Motors| Greaves | Hella | Hero Electric | Honda | Hyundai | JBM | Kia | Kinetic Green | LG | Mahindra Electric | MG Motors | Nissan | Ola | Olectra | Panasonic | Piaggio | Porsche | Renault | Samsung SDI | Schneider Electric | Tata Autocomp | Tata Motors | Tata Power | Toyota | TVS Motors | Uber | UL | Volvo |
Know more on how EV Next can assist your business in your strategy for the e-mobility and electric vehicles sectors, Here
Wish to know everything about India’s EV market from one place? Check out the India EV Expert Guide, an 800 page comprehensive guide to the Indian EV market. Here
Categories: E-mobility, Electric Vehicles, EV Batteries Strategy, EV Charging and Swapping Strategy, Indian E-mobility Strategy
About EAI and BioBiz for Bio-CNG
BioBiz for bio-CNG, EAI's specialized consulting division for bio-CNG, provides assistance in market research, strategy consulting, technology vendor/supplier finder assistance and more for the complete bio-CNG value chain – feedstock sourcing, logistics, pre-processing techniques, anaerobic digestion, biogas scrubbing, biogas upgradation, end user markets for bio-CNG and digestate, and more. Send a note to email@example.com if you wish to take BioBiz’s assistance for the Indian bio-CNG market.
About EAI & EV Next
EV Next, EAI's specialized consulting division, provides assistance in market research, strategy consulting, technology vendor/supplier finder assistance and more for the complete EV value chain - Li-ion & Lead Acid Battery Cells & Battery Packs, BMS, Battery Manufacturing equipment, EV charging station, battery swapping station, Li-ion & Lead Acid battery recycling, and for a range of electric vehicles - e-bikes, electric bicycles, electric scooters, electric motorbikes, electric autos, e-autos, e-rickshaws, electric trucks, electric LCVs, electric buses and more. Send a note to firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to take EV Next assistance for the Indian electric vehicle market.