Ford’s Plans for E-Mobility – EV Next
This post is a part of EV Next’s EV Perspectives.
EV Next, a division of EAI, is a leading market intelligence & strategic consulting firm for the Indian e-mobility sector.
Ford India Private Limited is a collaboration between Ford Motor Company(49%) and Mahindra & Mahindra Motor Company(51%). Ford India Private Limited’s headquarters are in Maraimalai Nagar, Chennai, Tamil Nadu.
Ford has been making in India, for India and the world, with its integrated manufacturing facilities in Chennai, Tamil Nadu and Sanand, Gujarat. The company, since its entry in India in 1995, has invested more than US$ 2 billion and is committed to building a sustainable, profitable business in one of the world’s fastest-growing auto markets.
Ford’s presence in India includes Ford Credit India, which started wholesale dealer inventory and retail financing in 2015 as a non-banking financial company. Ford Credit is known for its reliable and transparent loan products at competitive rates, flexible terms, and outstanding customer service. With five decades of global experience, Ford Credit’s operations span in as many as 100 countries where it has emerged as a preferred automotive financier for both Ford customers as well as dealers.
Ford’s operations currently employ more than 14,000 across its operations in India which also include Global Business Services, with offices in Chennai, New Delhi, and Coimbatore.
The company co-developed the Mahindra Electric’s XUV 500 which would also be sold as a Ford’s C-segment SUV.
The company will also develop an all electric version of its Aspire which would be launched late 2020.
- Ford will provide just the ‘glider’ (or body shell) without the engine and transmission to Mahindra Electric, which plonk in its in-house-developed electric powertrain.
- A demonstration for proof of concept was tested for the Aspire EV which was powered by the powertrain used in an e-Verito.
- The American company formed a JV with Mahindra and Mahindra on the basis of a knowledge transfer, where the former would primarily give the design, technology and other requirements while the latter would manufacture the powertrain.
- The first vehicle developed in their JV, the Aspire EV will have its outer body/shell given by Ford while the powertrain will be developed by Mahindra.
- This JV will help Ford in its lack of manufacturing units in the region and will give a global market for Mahindra.
- Ssangyong, a subsidiary of Mahindra which also makes EVs would also benefit from this partnership for its sales.
- Ford Motor Co. is likely to build more than one electric vehicle based on the Volkswagen Group’s EV platform (the MEB).
Read EV Next posts on the India electric vehicle strategy for these companies: ABB | ACME | Altigreen Propulsion | Amara Raja | Ashok Leyland | Ather Energy | Audi | Bajaj | BASF | Bharat Forge | Black & Veatch | BMW | Bosch | Continental AG | Denso | Exide | Exicom | Fortum | General Motors | Great Wall Motors| Greaves | Hella | Hero Electric | Honda | Hyundai | JBM | Kia | Kinetic Green | LG | Mahindra Electric | MG Motors | Nissan | Ola | Olectra | Panasonic | Piaggio | Porsche | Renault | Samsung SDI | Schneider Electric | Sun Mobility | Tata Autocomp | Tata Motors | Tata Power | Toyota | TVS Motors | Uber | UL | Volvo |
Know more on how EV Next can assist your business in your strategy for the e-mobility and electric vehicles sectors, Here
Wish to know everything about India’s EV market from one place? Check out the India EV Expert Guide, an 800 page comprehensive guide to the Indian EV market. Here
Categories: E-mobility, Electric Vehicles, EV OEMs Strategy, Indian E-mobility Strategy
About EAI and BioBiz for Bio-CNG
BioBiz for bio-CNG, EAI's specialized consulting division for bio-CNG, provides assistance in market research, strategy consulting, technology vendor/supplier finder assistance and more for the complete bio-CNG value chain – feedstock sourcing, logistics, pre-processing techniques, anaerobic digestion, biogas scrubbing, biogas upgradation, end user markets for bio-CNG and digestate, and more. Send a note to email@example.com if you wish to take BioBiz’s assistance for the Indian bio-CNG market.
About EAI & EV Next
EV Next, EAI's specialized consulting division, provides assistance in market research, strategy consulting, technology vendor/supplier finder assistance and more for the complete EV value chain - Li-ion & Lead Acid Battery Cells & Battery Packs, BMS, Battery Manufacturing equipment, EV charging station, battery swapping station, Li-ion & Lead Acid battery recycling, and for a range of electric vehicles - e-bikes, electric bicycles, electric scooters, electric motorbikes, electric autos, e-autos, e-rickshaws, electric trucks, electric LCVs, electric buses and more. Send a note to firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to take EV Next assistance for the Indian electric vehicle market.