General Motors EV Strategy | General Motors' Plans for E-Mobility - EV Next - India Renewable Energy Consulting – Solar, Biomass, Wind, Cleantech
Select Page


by Narasimhan Santhanam

General Motors’ Plans for E-Mobility – EV Next


This posevnext-logo-v-smallt is a part of EV Next’s EV Perspectives.

Here's more about EAI

climate tech image India's first climate tech consulting firm

climate tech image We work across entire climate tech spectrum

climate tech imageOur specialty focus areas include bio-energy, e-mobility, solar & green hydrogen

climate tech image Gateway 2 India from EAI helps international firms enter Indian climate tech market

EV Nexta division of EAI, is a leading market intelligence & strategic consulting firm for the Indian e-mobility sector.


Get to know about 1000+ EV innovations from EVI2EV Innovation Intelligence from EVNext 


Company Profile

General Motors India Private Limited is a partnership between General Motors and SAIC that is engaged in the automobile business in India. General Motors has 93% stake in this partnership and the remaining 7% is held by SAIC. It was the 5th largest automobile manufacturing company in India after Maruti Suzuki, Hyundai, Tata Motors and Mahindra. After 21 years of operations in India, General Motors announced that it will stop selling cars in India by the end of 2017, as a part of its global restructuring actions. General Motors India’s primary focus is the manufacture and export of small cars and automotive components. Its export markets include Mexico and a few other Latin American countries. Its secondary focus is providing parts and related services for the GM vehicles that were sold in India.

Product Profile

  • Chevrolet – Bolt EV
  • Others from Cadillac and GMC will be launched late in 2020.
  • The company develops its own battery packs.
  • Their factory in India is an export-only facility. Additionally it offers support and services to the existing vehicles.

Future Plans

  • General Motors outlined its EV strategy on February 5, 2020 at the company’s Capital Markets Day. GM President Mark Reuss confirmed that the first vehicle to use GM’s next-generation electric architecture will be badged as a Cadillac. It will be unveiled in April 2020.
  • Cadillac’s first EV will be launched in April 2020.
  • GMC Hummer EV will be fully revealed on May 20, 2020, at General Motors’ Detroit-Hamtramck assembly plant, where the vehicle will be built
  • Chinese automaker Great Wall Motors in January 2020, said it has inked a pact with General Motors (GM) to acquire the latter’s manufacturing facility in Talegaon, near Pune. The transaction, which is subject to regulatory approval, is expected to close in the second half of 2020, Great Wall Motors (GWM) said in a release.

Global Work

  • Honda Motor and General Motors have joined in a research project that could determine whether electric vehicles can be used to stabilize the supply of power in next-generation smart grids in 2019.
  • In December 2019, General Motors and South Korea’s LG Chem announced a 50:50 joint venture in Ohio to make electric vehicle batteries, sources familiar
  • General Motors (GM) launched the Chevrolet Menlo sedan in China, the brand”s first fully electric vehicle in the world’s largest EV market in February 2020.

Read EV Next posts on the India electric vehicle strategy for these companies: ABB | ACME | Altigreen Propulsion | Amara Raja | Ashok Leyland | Ather Energy | Audi | Bajaj | BASF | Bharat Forge | Black & Veatch | BMW | Bosch | Continental AG | Denso | Exide | Exicom | Ford | Fortum | Great Wall Motors| Greaves | Hella | Hero Electric | Honda | Hyundai | JBM | Kia | Kinetic Green | LG | Mahindra Electric | MG Motors | Nissan | Ola | Olectra | Panasonic | Piaggio | Porsche | Renault | Samsung SDI | Schneider Electric | Sun Mobility | TATA Autocomp | Tata Motors | Tata Power | Toyota | TVS Motors | Uber | UL | Volvo |


Know more on how EV Next can assist your business in your strategy for the e-mobility and electric vehicles sectors, Here

Wish to know everything about India’s EV market from one place? Check out the India EV Expert Guide, an 800 page comprehensive guide to the Indian EV marketHere


Get to know about 1000+ EV innovations from EVI2EV Innovation Intelligence from EVNext 

About Narasimhan Santhanam (Narsi)

Narsi, a Director at EAI, Co-founded one of India's first climate tech consulting firm in 2008.

Since then, he has assisted over 250 Indian and International firms, across many climate tech domain Solar, Bio-energy, Green hydrogen, E-Mobility, Green Chemicals.

Narsi works closely with senior and top management corporates and helps then devise strategy and go-to-market plans to benefit from the fast growing Indian Climate tech market.


Copyright © 2024 EAI. All rights reserved.